MCLC: Cantonese novels (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 27 09:45:22 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Gilbert Fong <gilbertfong at hsmc.edu.hk>
Subject: Cantonese novels (2)

I read the interesting "Cantonese novels" posting. A few observations:

1. When we discuss Cantonese literature in Hong Kong, we cannot ignore
drama. Hong Kong plays have been written in Cantonese since the 1960s, so
have translations. Drama is now flourishing as one of the more viable and
vibrant performing arts genres in the territory. The Hong Kong theatre
scene is one of the most active, if not the most active , among those in
Chinese speaking regions, including Mainland China.

2. Original plays are written and performed in Cantonese, which is
considered the main stream and the norm. Plays written in Cantonese have
been published, though some of them have been partially standardized.

3. I have been writing quite a few articles on Hong Kong drama, mostly in
Chinese. I could provide a list if people are interested.

4. When people talk about Hong Kong literature, they usually ignore drama.
Compared to fiction and poetry, Hong Kong is much more popular and
accepted by peers in Mainland China and Taiwan. Scholars should accept
drama as one of the important genres of Hong Kong literature.

By the way, please put me back on the mailing list using this email
address.

Best and thanks.

Gilbert