MCLC: Edwin G. Pulleyblank (1922-2013) (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:15:11 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Colin Mackerras <c.mackerras at griffith.edu.au>
Subject: Edwin G. Pulleyblank (1922-2013) (1)

Dear All,

Thank you to Marjorie for passing on this message. I, too, am very grieved
to hear of Ted Pulleyblank's passing. Although I have not seen him for
nearly half a century, he was my supervisor for my Master's thesis on the
Uighur state of 744 to 840 when I was in Cambridge from 1962 to 1964. I
remember him as demanding but fair, and very concerned for the welfare of
his students. He was always kind and generous, both to my wife Alyce and
to me. He was a great scholar and very, very deeply versed in the Tang
dynasty history. He made a remarkable contribution to scholarship.

I would like to pass on condolences also to his family.

Colin Mackerras
Renmin University of China, Beijing