MCLC: Edwin G. Pulleyblank (1922-2013)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 15 09:09:40 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Marjorie Chan <chan.9 at osu.edu>
Subject: Edwin G. Pulleyblank (1922-2013)

Dear all --

I am very saddened to inform all that Professor Edwin G. Pulleyblank,
Professor Emeritus of the University of British Columbia, Vancouver,
Canada, passed away in Vancouver on Saturday, 13 April 2013 at 4:36 p.m.
local time. His wife and his three children were there with him. Professor
Pulleyblank was 90.

Speaking on behalf of those of us in Chinese linguistics, some of us were
very fortunate to have had Ted Pulleyblank as our mentor. He was a
towering figure in the field and we remember him with fondness, for his
warmth, his kindness, and his patience as our mentor. He was ever so
passionate in his scholarly research, and thoroughly dedicated to the
field, be it Chinese linguistics or Chinese history. He made full use of
his powerful intellect and memory for all the fine details. And then there
was also the whimsical side of him, such as divulging his nickname given
by Y.R. Chao's children (from a sinicized version of the french version of
his surname). There were many memorable stories that he shared over the
years that I have known him, delightfully humorous incidents from the past
that brought out his smile and a quiet chuckle.

Several years ago, a "Dedication to Professor Edwin G. Pulleyblank" was
published in the NACCL-20 Proceedings, online at the NACCL website
<naccl.osu.edu <http://naccl.osu.edu/>>:

http://naccl.osu.edu/sites/naccl.osu.edu/files/egp_dedication.pdf

Professor Pulleyblank's final publication also appears in the NACCL-20
Proceedings, "Language as Digital: A New Theory of the Origin and Nature
of Human Speech":

http://naccl.osu.edu/sites/naccl.osu.edu/files/00_pulleyblank-eg.pdf

A world-renown scholar in the academic field, his extensive publications
span six decades -- from 1950 through 2008 -- as can be seen in the list
of his publications that also appear in the proceedings:

http://naccl.osu.edu/sites/naccl.osu.edu/files/egp_pubn.pdf

There will be a small funeral next week for the family and then a memorial
service will be held later on, details of which are not yet available.

Sincerely,
Marjorie Chan
The Ohio State University