MCLC: new chapter for children's book authors (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 12 09:44:35 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: A. E. Clark <aec at raggedbanner.com>
Subject: new chapter for children's book authors (1)

Most of the opinions quoted in the SCMP article about Yang Hongying are
dismissive, but I can't tell how much of this stems from envy of her
commercial success and how much is a reaction to her (alleged) cranking
out of bland formulas.

I have to admit that the synopses I've seen of her children's books make
Disney look like Dostoyevsky in comparison.

Will list members familiar with her work share their opinions?  The
article quoted someone who preferred Western children's literature.  Can
list members recommend any Chinese children's authors whom they feel have
greater depth and literary worth than Yang?

Andrew

Andrew