MCLC: Taiwan in Theory--cfp

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 15 09:37:21 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Laura Jo-Han Wen <wen7 at wisc.edu>
Subject: Taiwan in Theory--cfp

CALL FOR PAPERS
North American Taiwan Studies Association (NATSA) 19th Annual Conference

Submission deadline: January 4th, 2013
Notification of acceptance by:  February 15th, 2013
Full papers due: May 13th, 2013

Taiwan in Theory

The North American Taiwan Studies Association (NATSA) invites scholars,
particularly young scholars, to submit proposals for our upcoming annual
conference on June 21-22, at the University of California, Santa Barbara
with the co-assistance of the Center for Taiwan Studies at UCSB and of the
Institute of Taiwan History at Academia Sinica. Following the calls of
multiple scholars from our 2012 conference, we invite submitters to
consider how Taiwan's situation--its own by itself or in relation to or in
comparison with others, perhaps as a gateway, liminal space, node, or even
Method--makes contributions that scholars who pursue answers to parallel
questions in other areas would profit from hearing. We encourage students
of Taiwan to return to and reflect on their research, to its basis in
Taiwan's experience, to discover insight into how these may, whether
originally the main focus of research, a footnote in it, or a previously
unfinished thought, contribute in novel ways to larger debates.

As a larger goal for the conference, NATSA hopes to begin to inspire the
work and discussions that will continue to push Taiwan and Taiwan Studies
towards critical, valuable engagement with the most pressing questions of
the moment and of the future. NATSA 2013 challenges scholars to begin
research that will place Taiwan (along with its people, their productions,
anxieties, and challenges) at the forefront of theory. By joining this
conference and speaking to your own discipline¹s debates and discussions,
we hope to create a node of exchange for disciplinary knowledge and
advance. This will also give presenters the opportunity to place their
work and conclusions before a group of other younger and experienced
scholars intimately engaged with parallel issues, data, and events from
quite different perspectives.

Please see our Suggested Topics and Questions here:
http://www.na-tsa.org/new/2013-natsa-conference/call-for-papers.html

Submission Rules:
http://www.na-tsa.org/new/2013-natsa-conference/abstract-submission-rules.h
tml