MCLC: Chinese-English glossary (1,2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat May 26 09:50:57 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Costas Kouremenos <enaskitis at gmail.com>
Subject: Chinese-English glossary (1)

Perhaps you mean Rick Harbaugh's book, 中文字谱 Chinese Characters: A
Genealogy and Dictionary (although it's much older), which is searchable
at www.zhongwen.com <http://www.zhongwen.com/>?

Costa

From: Nick Kaldis <nkaldis at gmail.com>
Subject: Chinese-English glossary (2)

I'm not sure if you're referring to the 四角號碼檢字法, which we still had
To learn at OSU in grad school, under the direction of the inimitable
Prof. 勞延
煊 . I can no longer remember how to look up characters this way,
regrettably.

Here's Wikipedia's description:

The Four-Corner Method was invented in the 1920s by Wang Yunwu
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Yunwu> (王雲五), the editor in chief at
Commercial Press Ltd., China. Its development was based mainly on
contributions by the Russian scholar Otto Rosenberg
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Rosenberg>[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-Corner_Method#cite_note-0>[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-Corner_Method#cite_note-1> in the early
20th century, as well as experiments by Lin Yutang
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Yutang> and others[citation needed
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>]. Its original
purpose was to aid telegraphers in looking up Chinese telegraph code
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_telegraph_code> (CST) numbers in use
at that time from long lists of characters. This was mentioned by Wang
Yunwu in an introductory pamphlet called Sijiaohaoma Jianzifa in 1926.
Introductory essays for this pamphlet were written by Cai Yuanpei
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cai_Yuanpei> and Hu Shi
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu_Shi>.

Nick