MCLC: railways in literature (4,5,6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 20 03:34:54 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: James A. Flath <jflath at uwo.ca>
Subject: railways in literature (4)

It's not literature so much, but I examine the image of the railway in
popular print in my article:‘The Chinese Railroad View: Transportation
Themes in Popular Print, 1873-1915.’ Cultural Critique 58 (3) 2004.

James

From: Lily Lee <l.lee at sydney.edu.au>
Subject: railways in literature (5)

In one of Han Suyin's autographic series Mortal Flowers  she wrote about
China's early railway movement and her father's role in it.

Lily

From: Tommy McClellan <tmmcclellan at googlemail.com>
Subject: railways in literature (6)

Apart from _Shanghai Express_, still the only Zhang Henshui novel
translated and published in English, Zhang's <燕歸來> is also mainly set on
rail journey - a much more interesting one, in many ways, with many many
topical authorial remarks, from Nanking to Tongguan. To be honest,
however, the rail journey section, about 1/3 of the novel, is also fairly
tedious in its focus upon the shallow love rivalry between three guys and
one basketball-champion girl....

Tommy