MCLC: Qigong's quiet return (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 17 08:25:06 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: christoph steinhardt <hcsteinhardt at gmail.com>
Subject: Qigong's quiet return (1)

Ian Johnson wrote:

"Most qigong groups disappeared or went underground, and as a result it is
all but impossible today to practice qigong in public parks."

I cannot judge the contrast between before and after 1999. This sentence,
however, is very much at odds with my own post-2001 observations. I
remember, for instance, how in 2001 there were Qigong practitioners all
over (I believe it was) Jingshan Park in Beijing - practically around the
corner from Zhongnanhai at a time when the anti-Falun Gong campaign was
still in full swing. I have also observed open Qigong practice on
countless occasions in public parks around China. Thus, from my
perspective "all but impossible" is clearly overstated.

Christoph