MCLC: Li Yongping at Contemporary Chinese Writers

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 16 10:10:51 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: Li Yongping at Contemporary Chinese Writers

New from the Contemporary Chinese Writers Project at MIT
http://web.mit.edu/ccw/li-yongping/

Prominent novelist and translator Li Yongping joins Can Xue and Li Ang as
featured writers.

Li Yongping was born in 1947 on the island of Borneo in Malaysia. A
novelist and a prolific translator, Li employs modernist literary
techniques to create hybrid texts with traditional narrative and
structure. In 1986, his novel THE JILING CHRONICLES received praise from
literary critics in Taiwan, and Li gained a place in Taiwan's contemporary
literary scene. In his preface to the work, Li stated that he wanted to
break away from bad American and Japanese linguistic influences and bring
out the ³pure Chinese vernacular language² in order to show a ³genuine
China² through his fictional work. In a revealing interview completed just
for this site, Li speaks about his life and work.

³From the nostalgia of homeland to the sense of drifting, from Realism to
Modernism, Li Yongping is the most important experimenter in the
contemporary Taiwanese literature tradition. His strong individual style
catches our attention again and again.² ‹ David Der-wei Wang, Harvard
University

The mission of the Contemporary Chinese Writers Project is to give
visibility to the wide variety of famous contemporary ethnic Chinese
writers to readers in the West. This website is a scholarly repository,
and we invite academic scholars to have their works cited on the website
and linked if appropriate.

Click here <http://mit.cmail5.com/t/r/l/ihjiitl/oudhdkkid/j/> to view site.

The Contemporary Chinese Writers Project is a collaborative project
undertaken by members of the MIT community and faculty in the Foreign
Languages and Literature Section. We welcome your comments and suggestions.