MCLC: Liu Xiaobo reading

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 16 10:10:47 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: ulrich schreiber <Ulrich.Schreiber at literaturfestival.com>
Subject: Liu Xiaobo reading

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On 20 March 2012, the international literature festival berlin (ilb) will
organize a worldwide reading for the Chinese writer and winner of the
Nobel Peace Prize Liu Xiaobo.

Liu Xiaobo has been in detention for more than three years, after he and
other intellectuals wrote and published the civil rights manifesto Charta
08. The worldwide reading in March is meant to make Liu Xiaobo¹s work
known to a broader public and to back the protest. The Charta 08 and poems
by Liu Xiaobo will be read (in several languages, see annex).

The appeal (see annex) has been signed so far by Héctor Abad (Columbia),
Kwame Anthony Appiah (USA), Amir Hassan Cheheltan (Iran), Noam Chomsky
(USA), Bei Dao(China), Ariel Dorfman (Chile), Péter Esterházy (Hungary),
Aminatta Forna (U.K., Sierra Leone), Herta Müller (Romania/Germany), Peter
Schneider (Germany), Tomaz Salamun (Slovenia), Laura Restrepo (Columbia),
Sjón (Iceland), Amos Oz (Israel), Juan Goytisolo (Spain/ Morocco),
Dubravka Ugresic (Croatia/Netherlands), Anne Waldman (USA), Henrietta
Rose-Innes (South Africa), Salman Rushdie (India/ USA), Janne Teller
(Denmark) and many other writers from all continents.

We would be glad if you or a cultural institution, school, university
and/or radio station could host a reading on 20 March. In order to let
people all over the world know about our initiative, we need your support:
Please tell us about the readings that take place in your country. Our
e-mail address is: worldwidereading at literaturfestival.com . Please visit
our website www.literaturfestival.com <http://www.literaturfestival.com/>
and check, who participates.

Most cordially
Yours

Ulrich Schreiber
Director of the festival

World Wide Reading Liu Xiaobo | 20.03.2012

12. internationales literaturfestival berlin | 05. - 15.09.2012
Fokus Kunst und Literatur

www.literaturfestival.com
Chausseestraße 5
10115 Berlin