MCLC: advanced Chinese online text

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 16 08:31:02 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: paul foster (paulbfoster2008 at gmail.com)
Subject: advanced Chinese online text

Members of the list may be interested in a free online textbook/curriculum
for a one-semester course I’ve developed and am currently piloting,
“Advanced Chinese Language, Popular Music and Culture,” funded through a
grant from the Department of Education. Consider this as planning for Fall
semester begins.

Brief Description: “Advanced Chinese, Popular Music and Culture” 《高级汉语、
流行音
乐与文化》 is an innovative courseware/online text which uses pop songs to
teach advanced Chinese language and culture. This semester length course
is designed around fifteen songs grouped as Mandopop, Taiwan Hip-Hop,
Mainland Rock ‘n Roll, and National Identity & Consciousness. The songs
are embedded in a complex of cultural notes, listening and vocabulary
tasks, exercises, and research and discussion topics. The ultimate focus
is to direct the student online to for immersion in authentic Chinese
websites to conduct research for in-class discussion and writing, thus
learning language and culture experientially. Capping off the course,
students complete a semester length research project, researching a
popular KTV that they present and teach to their classmates.

Exercises/Tasks: Some exercises are done using direct computer input,
utilizing feedback to check answers (such as fill in the blank). Some
exercises are designed to insure the student gets practice writing by
hand. Printing feature makes computer completed exercises easily
saved/printed in as pdf file format.

Adaptability: Target audience is advanced level (4th year) university
students. However, this online text/curriculum is readily adaptable to
other levels of Chinese study by varying assignment of tasks.

Pilot: I am currently piloting this course and it that will be available
for to instructors and students at US universities at no cost beginning
Fall semester 2012. The software template will also be available free for
adaption to other courses.

Syllabus: A detailed syllabus describes the course lays the foundation for
instructional approach.

Lesson Plans & Teacher’s Guide: Currently in development during piloting
of this course, my lesson plans and teacher’s guide will be available free
to instructors.

Access: If you would like to check out the online textbook/courseware,
email me (paul.foster at modlangs.gatech.edu) for a login, password and
access window. You may click here
<http://www.clsp.gatech.edu/Song_Project/> to see the introductory access
page for our Critical Languages Song Project (which also includes Arabic,
Japanese and Russian).

Regards,

Paul Foster <http://modlangs.gatech.edu/people/faculty/foster_1>, PhD
Associate Professor of Chinese