MCLC: characters to pinyin software (2,3,4,5,6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 10 08:38:23 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: paul mooney (pjmooney at me.com)
Subject: characters to pinyin software (2)

Google Chrome has a function where you can turn on a Chinese function that
will provide definitions of words to help one read online documents,
Twitter, Microblogs, etc.. It workds much the same way as Wenlin. You put
the cursor over a word or phrase and the definition pops up. Does anyone
know if there's a similar function in Apple Safari?
Best regards,

Paul

From: jim dew <jameserwindew at yahoo.com>
Subject: characters to pinyin software (3)

One might also try the "Pinyin Converter" at:
http://www.words-chinese.com/pinyin-converter

It allows a choice of adding pinyin to character text or providing output
entirely in pinyin. I don't know how large a file it can deal with.

Jim Dew

From: jason
Subject: characters to pinyin software (4)

Hi,

I've always liked Nanjing Star because it lets you print the pinyin above
or below the characters (though spacing can sometimes be a little tricky).
The word processing program (available at
http://www.njstar.com/cms/njstar-chinese-word-processor) will also define
words or phrases and provide pinyin when you hover over the characters.
Personally, I've found Nanjing Star to be very user-friendly.

Hope that helps,
Jason

From: daan van esch <misterdaan at gmail.com>
Subject: characters to pinyin software (5)

Your friend may also want to consider using Google Translate: type or copy
in the Chinese characters, and click the Ä button on the bottom right.
This has the advantage of being pretty accurate when duoyinzi or poyinzi
are concerned, although as always, it's good to have someone with
knowledge of Chinese double-check.

Best wishes,

Daan

From: florian schneider <f.a.schneider at hum.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject: characters to pinyin software (6)

I would recommend an online converter. The following are quite useful:

http://www.words-chinese.com/pinyin-converter/
(allows easy copy-pasting)

http://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-pinyin-converter/
(more thorough, but less easy to copy-paste from)

In either case, your colleague may want to read over the results to check
that the software did not produce any errors.

Hope this helps.

Best

Florian