MCLC: Pathlight and Peregrine (9,10)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 18 11:27:18 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Ronald Janssen <ron.janssen at me.com>
Subject: Pathlight and Peregrine (9)

Jiwei, I'm not sure if your comments are directed at me, but just in case,
I had better state that I do not have a "dismissive attitude" about issues
regarding Chinese literature in the wider world. My email simply describes
a situation in 2000. It does not evaluate it in any dismissive way.

Ron Janssen

From: Claire Conceison <cc253 at duke.edu>
Subject: Pathlight and Peregrine (10)

Dear colleagues,

I have just returned from france and china and am catching up with MCLC
postings. wanted to offer this piece i published in HK Drama Review in
2009 (the special issue was a volume of collected essays from the Hong
Kong conference on Gao's "Chineseness" in May 2008 organized by Gilbert
Fong) as part of the 'context' being called for in framing Gao, his
citizenship, his writing etc. [You can download the pdf file here:
http://mclc.osu.edu/rc/images/conceison2009.pdf] My project since 2006
with/on Gao is translating his five French plays directly into English (my
translation of 'Ballade nocturne' was published in 2010, and i just
finished translating 'Le quêteur de la mort'), and situating Gao as a
translingual writer (a book will be forthcoming in the next few years).
this article may provide info that some find useful on the topic of Gao as
a French/Chinese/translingual writer. Here is link to 'Ballade nocturne'
for those interested (the booklet contains my translation, introduction,
the original french text, and several of Gao's paintings in high-quality
reproduction):

http://www.sylpheditions.com/Cahiers/13.html

best,
claire