[Vwoolf] seeking a source

Morgne Cramer morgnecramer at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 20:19:28 EDT 2021

Dear Woolfians,

I am trying to recall a passage I read long ago and cannot even remember if it was an essay or short story. What I recall is Woolf or her narrator is talking about how as civilization changes our emotional responses to the suffering of others changes too. The image I recall (vaguely) was her comparing times in history when people could walk by public hangings without much disturbance while in her time most people could not endure watching a public hanging without pain, severe upset, and public hangings were no longer acceptable.

I know this is vague—but does anyone recognize these "moment" in her prose and the source?

Morgne Cramer