[Vwoolf] "Fog in Channel – Europe cut off"

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 25 09:51:24 EDT 2021

The Continent continues to recede from the UK – another analogy with the Second World War:

“Confined to Charleston throughout the greater part of the war, Vanessa and Duncan were now eager to get abroad.  Duncan was the first to leave England, taking a short holiday in Copenhagen in the spring of 1946 . . .”
(Spalding’s “Vanessa Bell”, p. 331)

Stuart
(Day 373)

There's one spoilt spring to scant our mortal lot,
One season ruined of our little store.
May will be fine next year as like as not:
Oh ay, but then we shall be twenty*-four.

*Insert any decade you like – to hell with scansion