[Vwoolf] "The Pelican Guide to English Literature"

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Fri Jun 18 03:40:56 EDT 2021

A modest proposal.

Some interesting discussion in this thread.

In this electronic age it should be possible for someone to create a
webpage on which critics confess to "things I regret having written in
publications." I have quite a few entries I'd like to make myself,
including in criticism of Woolf. Perhaps there should be such a webpage
for every major writer. Various titles are possible: "Mea Culpa:
Virginia," or "Sackcloth & Ashes: Woolf," for example.

I remember that several years ago, one of the journals dedicated to the
fiction of Joseph Conrad published a number in which major critics of
his work commented on what they had written decades earlier, noting what
they thought they had got right and what they had got wrong, or ignored,
and discussed developments in Conrad criticism since then. An idea for
Woolf studies perhaps?

Jeremy H