[Vwoolf] Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love

Erica Delsandro ericadelsandro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 08:14:26 EDT 2021

Hello All!

I do believe this has been mentioned before, but the new television
adaptation of Mitford's *The Pursuit of Love* debuts on Amazon Prime at the
end of the month (July 30).  This article in the NYT (below) mentions how
the character Fanny reads Virginia Woolf in the show and Woolf's work also
makes an appearance in the novel.  A question I have long had but have only
ever wondered about: it seems likely that Mitford read Woolf -- NM worked
in a book shop for a bit and if she didn't read VW she at least knew of her
work-- *but did Woolf read Mitford?*  Mitford's first four novels were
written between 1931-1940.  My very preliminary and admittedly brief
investigations seem to suggest that the Woolf's did not have a Mitford
novel in their library.

Also, if you have not read any Nancy Mitford, or dipped into the many
Mitford biographies, I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so!  The Mitford
biographies -- and autobiographies -- have surprising resonance with
today's political climate in the U.S. -- and maybe the U.K., too? -- in
that the Mitford family members spanned the political spectrum of their
time. (Which is the most understated way to describe the political
entanglements of the Mitford sisters.)  I am sure we can all relate in some
form or fashion to the reality of family members with opposing political
views.... although I wouldn't suggest using Diana and Jessica (Decca) as
models of negotiating intra-family conflict.

And there is so much humor in Mitford's work and in the Mitford family!
Despite or because of the numerous tragedies.

Best wishes all! -- EGD

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/arts/television/the-pursuit-of-love.html?action=click&module=Features&pgtype=Homepage__;!!KGKeukY!m5kDeqQ4BR4W5nGX1TKlJxyH5iuqCGSr47T8yPXgBcfJdTRoZgQH_nzuqw15JZx5eSA0Hmaz0gQf730$

--

*EGD*

*she/her/hers*