[Vwoolf] Peacehaven

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Feb 8 05:15:04 EST 2021

The Wikipedia entry for Peacehaven is worth looking at. Here's a taster:

"Peacehaven was established in 1916 by entrepreneur Charles Neville, who
had purchased land in the parish of Piddinghoe; he then set up a company
to develop the site (he also eventually built nearby towns Saltdean and
parts of Rottingdean).[4] He advertised it by setting up a competition
in virtually every newspaper in England to name the development. The
Daily Express later sued Neville over the competition, holding that it
was a scam, since he was offering "free" plots of land in the town as
runner-up prizes but issuing them only on the payment of a conveyancing
fee. The name of the winners who chose the name 'New Anzac-on-Sea' (to
commemorate the ANZAC's involvement in the Battle of Gallipoli)[5] were
Mr West of Ilford Essex and Mr Kemp of Maidstone Kent. On 12 February
1917 Mr Neville changed the name to Peacehaven. The Express won the
case, but the publicity brought the scheme to a large audience. The idea
was then to sell plots of land cheaply for people to build on
themselves. Initially the town was New Anzac-on-Sea but less than a year
later in 1917 it was renamed Peacehaven."

So New Anzac-on-sea went the way of New Amsterdam . . .

Jeremy H