[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf, Peter Harrington London (rare books & mss).

Maggie Humm M.Humm at uel.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 09:32:19 EST 2021

Dear Mary Ellen

Kim Jones has made an wonderful artistic response to Woolf, equal in significance, I feel, to creating a painting, book, ballet or music in homage.
Jones is very knowledgeable. He owns many first editions and art works by the Bloomsbury group, has bought a house in Rodmell, and was brought up in the area.
His show has music by Max Richter which is an extension of Richter’s composition WoolfWorks for the Royal Ballet.
References to Woolf’s writing abound. Her BBC recording begins the show; the models carry books, the jacquard materials are ‘marbled’ like Woolf’s book bindings; the model Evgenia Dubinova carried a minaudiere bag with a lining inscribed by quotes from Orlando; the models are in ‘rooms of their own’, some strikingly androgynous, the pearls (worn by Lila Moss daughter of Kate) refer to Woolf’s description of  Vita in a fishmonger’s, and Woolf quotes are throughout.

My dream would be to wear Cara Delevingne’s trouser suit but she is 5 foot eight and I am 5 foot 3 (apart from other differences!).

Maggie

Emeritus Professor Maggie Humm
University of East London

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.washingtonindependentreviewofbooks.com/features/our-51-favorite-books-of-2020*disqus_thread__;Iw!!KGKeukY!nleEG5WA3CZWP8YXIGGL44--s7l9hiUfwXMjMkyIpSsQzL__zYUXu-YJpblUbUXDzP6NsiuyX2zS$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://amzn.to/2UJZ7zF__;!!KGKeukY!nleEG5WA3CZWP8YXIGGL44--s7l9hiUfwXMjMkyIpSsQzL__zYUXu-YJpblUbUXDzP6Nsv5gLj-i$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.maggiehumm.net/__;!!KGKeukY!nleEG5WA3CZWP8YXIGGL44--s7l9hiUfwXMjMkyIpSsQzL__zYUXu-YJpblUbUXDzP6Nsu1byIKs$