[Vwoolf] Call for Responses for Dreadnought Hoax Discussion

Danell Jones danelljones at bresnan.net
Fri Apr 16 13:27:11 EDT 2021

Hope you don’t mind if I send reminders to those who would like to participate in the Dreadnought hoax discussion at the 2021 VW Conference to shoot me a reflection in advance. Deadline May 15th, please.

Happy weekend!

Danell

Call for Responses: Dreadnought Hoax Discussion
I am so pleased to announce that “Rethinking the Dreadnought Hoax: A Discussion” has been accepted for the 2021 Virginia Woolf Conference.
To lay a foundation for the conversation, I would like to invite anyone who wants to participate to share a short (250-500 word) reflection on the hoax in advance of the conference. Please send it to me, Danell Jones, at danell at danelljones.com by  May 15th.
Before we meet in June, I will email a packet of the reflections to all participants.
The goal of the conversation is to think about the ways we understand the hoax, teach it, use it in art, biography or performances. Here are some critical questions we might ponder:
1.  In the past, the Dreadnought hoax has been considered subversive, pacifist, feminist, anti-imperialist, even anti-racist. Are those understandings still valid?

2. How do we contend with Woolf’s use of blackface?

3. What does the hoax mean to scholars, students, common readers, artists, writers, and performers today? For example, what do student reactions reveal? How do performances like Kabe Wilson’s “The Dreadlock Hoax” invite us to rethink Woolf’s act and what it means?

4. How do we teach, talk about, or otherwise engage the Dreadnought hoax in the era of the Black Lives Matter and Me Too movements?
If there are any questions, please feel free to contact me: danell at danelljones.com

Very Short Bibliography

There are many articles, book, podcasts, etc. that talk about the Dreadnought Hoax. Here are just a handful to get started.

deCourcy, Elisa. “The Dreadnought Hoax portrait as an affront to the Edwardian age.” Early Popular Visual Culture, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 405–24.

Gerzina, Gretchen Holbrook. “Bushmen and Blackface: Bloomsbury and ‘Race.’” The South Carolina Review, vol. 38, no. 2, 2006, pp. 46–64, 279.

- - -. “Virginia Woolf, Performing Race.” The Edinburgh Companion to Virginia Woolf and the Arts, Edited by Maggie Humm, Edinburgh UP, 2010, pp. 74–87.

(Gerzina’s research on the history/experience of Black folk in Britain is extensive.)

Johnston, Georgia. “Virginia Woolf ’s Talk on the Dreadnought Hoax.” Woolf Studies
Annual, vol. 15, 2009, 9–45.

Jones, Danell. “The Dreadnought Hoax and the Theatres of War.” Literature & History, vol. 22, no. 1, 2013, pp. 80–94.

Jean E. Kennard, “Power and Sexual Ambiguity: The Dreadnought Hoax, The Voyage Out, Mrs. Dalloway, and Orlando.” Journal of Modern Literature, 20: 2 (Winter 1996), 149-164.

Stansky, Peter. “The Dreadnought Hoax.” On or About December 1910: Early Bloomsbury and Its Intimate World, 1996, Harvard UP, pp. 17–46.

Wilson, Kabe. “The Dreadlock Hoax.”Studies in the Maternal, vol. 6, no. 1, 2014. DOI: 10.16995/sim.15.

Young, Kevin. “The Time Virginia Woolf Wore Blackface.” The New Yorker, 27 Oct 2017. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-time-virginia-woolf-wore-blackface__;!!KGKeukY!go7_HMMF0l3HuKpPVPLRzSh-ZmXbij83QavT86bYN-44GdRrdTNSEwIbTeY9FyGY9rWOHra7gUL3SsY$ .

Woolf, Virginia. “The Dreadnought Hoax Talk.” The Platform of Time: Memoirs of
Family and Friends, edited with an introduction by S. P. Rosenbaum, Hesperus, 2008.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10