[Vwoolf] Fancy not knowing that!

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 5 12:18:17 EDT 2021

I have to admit that I thought the same about pirate buses.  One of our VWSGB Members told me.  Now I’ve discovered lots of info.  Below is the most famous: the “Chocolate Express”.

Here’s an example of something I didn’t know I didn’t know until I found out I didn’t know a few years ago:  what’s a street scavenger?  They pop up in T. S. Eliot’s ‘A Cooking Egg’ (1920): ‘The red-eyed scavengers are creeping | From Kentish Town and Golder’s Green’.  They are also mentioned in “The Years” and “Jacob’s Room”.

Answer: persons ‘whose employment is to clean streets, by scraping or sweeping together and removing dirt’ (OED).

Stuart