[Vwoolf] Fancy not knowing that!

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Apr 5 11:48:08 EDT 2021

It's a good example of what for many might be an unknown unknown: those
unfamiliar with cricket might well assume that the nets are for tennis.
(Another unknown unknown for me was the pirate bus in Mrs Dalloway -
which before you contextualised it, Stuart, I thought was just a bit of
romancing on Elizabeth's part. Annotators, I agree, need to be alert to
the possibility of such ignorance.) The things we know we don't know can
always be looked up; the things we don't know we don't know remain
unresearched.