[Vwoolf] Six ou sept?

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Oct 5 07:08:04 EDT 2020

So Percival is not in search of a hero. Or is it that he /is/ the hero
(he surely is for Neville)? It's interesting, flicking through critics
and commentaries, to note the alternation between "six friends" and
"seven friends." Thus my World's Classics edition edited by Gillian Beer
(1992) has on the back cover "/The Waves/ (1931) traces the lives and
interactions of seven friends . . .", while on the second page of her
Introduction Beer writes that "/The Waves/ . . . has to do with the
sexual life, with the six persons of one woman."

Jeremy H

--
Jeremy Hawthorn
Emeritus Professor