[Vwoolf] FW: "Mrs. Dalloway" crux

Caroline Webb caroline.webb at newcastle.edu.au
Sun Nov 22 18:38:37 EST 2020

This makes me wonder about the actual sound of “kyar.”  I always vaguely heard it as “car” with an inserted semivowel (like “piazza”), but I suppose it must be meant to rhyme with “liar.”  That would fit with the notion that Watkiss is parodying the upper classes who produce things like Prime Ministers—and ride in cars.

Caroline