[Vwoolf] Number 1 misreading of Woolf?

mhussey at verizon.net mhussey at verizon.net
Mon May 18 08:58:19 EDT 2020

I don’t quite agree with Naremore here. Woolf mentions Joyce as ‘the most notable’ of ‘several young writers’ who are chafing at convention, and I think it is reasonable to see herself as implicitly included among those ‘young writers’. Her complaint about Joyce is more specific; his (narrative) ‘self’ ‘never embraces or creates what is outside itself and beyond’, he lays a ‘didactic’ emphasis upon indecency.  I don’t think those writers you quote are taking the lines from ‘Modern Fiction’ out of context, and it seems to me reasonable to take the essay (in both its 1919 and 1925 iterations) as a modernist manifesto, though not necessarily as a recipe for how to make a Woolf novel.