[Vwoolf] reading group during Covid

Ilana Simons irs2000 at nyu.edu
Mon May 11 17:25:46 EDT 2020

Hi all,

My weekly reading group, in which we read inspiring and catalyzing texts
through Covid times, is meeting again this Friday at 8 am pacific time.
We'd love to have new members join us - you can participate as much or as
little as feels right - one week or more, talking or observing.
Attached find the reading for next time.  We'll be reading one recent
article from* The Atlantic* about Covid and America's unfair "racial
contract," particularly in the shadow of Ahmaud Arbery; an excerpt from
Ralph Ellison's *An Invisible Man*; and one essay from James Baldwin.

We don't presume to tackle deep truths about race and Covid in an hour's
meeting, but I hope we can share some perspectives about what is
"essential" in the American workforce and how we can think of the American
contract now.  And: we can look at the simple beauty of Ellison's prose.

This reading (33 single spaced pages) is a bit long - please read any of it
that you connect with.  It's in three pieces, so there is not pressure to
read it all.

feel free to join with these zoom credentials or send me an email:
Friday My 15, 8 am pacific time