[Vwoolf] An inspiring quotation

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 30 04:52:27 EDT 2020

This is mine, with all its reverberations of peace and stability, and poetry:

Pendant un demi-siècle, les bourgeoises de Pont l’Evêque envièrent à Mme Aubain sa servante Félicité.

By the way, although I understand every single word, I find it wearying to read extended passages in French.  But still, more chance of enjoyment in, say Renan (easy French, just as the “Anabasis” is (allegedly) easy Greek), than in:

‘self-reflection does not necessarily achieve a solipsistic protection of the normative horizon of which the transcendental ego is a product’