[Vwoolf] Round Robin email virus

mcuddy at chass.utoronto.ca mcuddy at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 30 04:31:08 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,
If you receive an email asking you to send an inspiring quotation to 20
people. please do not do this!  This scheme generates a pernicious email
virus that could clog our already stressed internet.
How it works: Person B writes to 20 people (C1-20)asking them to send an
inspiring quotation to person A. Person A gets 20 emails. BUT person B
ALSO asks her 20 people to write to a further 20 people asking them all to
send a quotation to herself, person B, since her name is now on top of the
list. Person B gets 400 emails!! Every 20 of those emails (from D1-20)
will have asked 20 people to write to one of the Cs. The 20Cs will each
get 400 emails, generating 8000 emails.
It probably won't really play out like that, because names will overlap
and some will default.  But that's how it could work, if successful.
It's wonderful to be connected at this time.  But please, not in this way.
with caring, warm good wishes to everyone,
Melba

ps. I would be relieved to be told that I'm wrong here. But I've checked
this out with 2 other people who agree. There are also more than one such
round robin circulating. Another form of virus indeed.