[Vwoolf] 2020 Woolf Conference Postponed to 2021

Hagen, Benjamin D Benjamin.Hagen at usd.edu
Tue Mar 17 16:13:49 EDT 2020

Dearest creatures,

[The following note has already been sent to those who sent in accepted proposals as well as to plenary speakers / performers and the Program Committee. Paula Maggio has also posted the note on Blogging Woolf<https://bloggingwoolf.wordpress.com/2020/03/16/covid-19-postpones-this-years-virginia-woolf-conference-postponed-until-2021/>.]

After conferring with Amy Smith (the 2021 Woolf Conference organizer) and the ACVW Steering Committee, the Program Committee for #vwoolf2020 has decided to postpone this summer’s conference until next summer. Profession and Performance will now take place June 2021 (specific dates TBD). After conferring with her administration, Amy Smith has confirmed that she will now organize the 2022 Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf.

We are so grateful to Amy (the best) as well as to the Steering Committee for their support during this strange, troubling time.

Anyone who had a proposal accepted for Profession and Performance will be automatically accepted next year. We’re still working out new dates, so you may have to wait a bit to know whether or not you will be able to attend. Please refrain from letting us know whether you’ll be attending (or not) until we get firm 2021 dates settled. Of course, if you have any questions for us, we’re happy to hear from you, and we’ll answer them as best we can!

Know that we will be reopening the CFP to new submissions later this year, so if you would like to submit a different proposal than the one you originally submitted, you will be free to do so at that time. We realize that your projects may look very different in a year’s time.

This is not an easy email to write or to share, but please know that we feel this is, absolutely, the right decision. Whether or not the spread of COVID-19 has been mitigated by June (we’ll see), it seems unthinkable to ask people to pay for registration or book travel now when so many travel bans, curfews, and other policies limiting social interaction are in place. Stay safe, practice social distance, and flatten that curve. We hope to see many (if not all of you!) in Vermillion, SD in June 2021.

Sending love,
Ben (and the rest of the South Dakota Woolf Pack)
—
Benjamin D. Hagen, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Assistant Professor | 20th-Century British and Anglophone Literature
University of South Dakota | Department of English
Dakota Hall, Room 212 | 414 E. Clark St.
Vermillion, SD 57069 | United States
benjamin.hagen at usd.edu<mailto:benjamin.hagen at usd.edu>