[Vwoolf] "What a lark! What a plunge!" (Could Woolf have had the bird in mind?)

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Jun 29 04:09:44 EDT 2020

I agree that the dominant meaning of "lark" here is "a bit of fun."
Etymologically this is unconnected to lark=bird; "laiking" is Yorkshire
and Lancashire dialect for playing (as opposed to working), and "lark"
both as verb and noun is related to modern Norwegian "å leke": to play
(Woolf would not have known this but Joyce might!). Partridge relates
the word to ON leika and OE lācan. (Insert joke here about Lacan and the
play of the signifier.)

But I have often wondered whether there might also be a hint at the
bird, which is characterized by rapid ascending and descending vertical
movements, hence plunging. Bird and cognates appear 20 times in the
novel, and Scrope Purvis thinks that there is a touch of the bird about
Clarissa - although he goes on to mention not a lark but a jay, a very
different bird.

Jeremy H