[Vwoolf] "What a lark! What a plunge!" (Could Woolf have had the bird in mind?)

Sunjoo Lee abgrund at naver.com
Mon Jun 29 00:21:19 EDT 2020

Dear Woolfians,

I am wondering about those two phrases in the opening of Mrs. Dalloway.
I have always thought the "lark" to be the bird; that Clarissa on that morning saw a lark (flying high), admired it, saw it plunge, and admired it also.

Then I seem to remember someone becoming incredulous when I said something to that effect discussing the opening of the novel.
I happen to have a French translation, and it rendered them: "La bouffée de plaisir! le plongeon!" Obviously the translator thought the "lark" to be more
along the lines of "sudden outburst of...."

Is this contested? Or is it definitely *not* the bird?
I would appreciate if you let me know what you think.

All best,
Sunjoo Lee