[Vwoolf] The Ramsays in Skye - owning or renting?

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Wed Jul 15 11:05:06 EDT 2020

On 15.07.2020 16:44, Stuart N. Clarke wrote:

> Another group to steer clear of – if I may generalise – is that of
> retired solicitors: time on their hands and a lot of legal knowledge,
> plus an intimate knowledge of the leasehold restrictions, can make
> life awkward for those committing the least infringement.

In the 1950s our family lived in a semi-detached house. My parents had a
small shed built on the property. Our next-door neighbour was a retired
solicitor's (i.e. lawyer's) clerk. He determined that the shed projected
one inch on to his property, and sent my father a legal agreement in
quadruplicate in which my father agreed to lease what must have been
about a square foot of land from him at a peppercorn rent. My father
took great pleasure in the neighbour's disappointment when he got the
builder back to shift the shed an inch into out land. "Spoiled his fun,"
he remarked with a look of smug satisfaction on his face.

Jeremy H