[Vwoolf] The Ramsays in Skye - owning or renting?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 15 10:44:21 EDT 2020

Of course, when it comes to property, I can’t shut up.

I didn’t know that, about floating freeholds, but it is certainly true that a whole aspect of leasehold, which had not been mentioned until Jeremy did, is the business of restrictions (or covenants? no, probably not – that’s another can of worms).  Of course, we have a number of restrictions about what we leaseholders can and cannot do.

I haven’t really experienced mad people, but certainly believe it.  Without question, there are “difficult” people.  Another group to steer clear of – if I may generalise – is that of retired solicitors: time on their hands and a lot of legal knowledge, plus an intimate knowledge of the leasehold restrictions, can make life awkward for those committing the least infringement.  A friend of mine bought a burnt out boathouse on the Thames on land owned by a developer who built a block of flats.  She rebuilt the boathouse in that wooden Swiss chalet style along the original lines, and the tenants of the block of flats have given her hell over the years.

I agree strongly over flat roofs  How they succeed in other countries I don’t know, but we had problems with our house (built in 1936), even though my father was well able to (and did)patch it up.  He always regretted not paying the extra £50 for one without a flat roof (it was just a bit over part of the living room).

Stuart