[Vwoolf] MR James and Woolf

Brenda R. Silver Brenda.R.Silver at dartmouth.edu
Mon Jul 13 16:22:47 EDT 2020

A friend of mine at Trinity College Dublin is writing a biography of MR James, the ghost story writer, who was Provost of Kings College Cambridge from about 1905 to 1918 and apparently a friend of George Duckworth's.  My friend's research at Kings has turned up a great number of Bloomsbury connections, and James seems to have met Virginia when she was 5 years old.   As part of his research my friend read Hermione Lee's biography of Woolf, but found no mention of James.

Does anyone know anyplace that Woolf commented on James?  Whether there are other references to his connections to the family in general or to Woolf in particular?  If so, could you let me know?

Thank you!

Brenda