[Vwoolf] New collaborative book

Madeleine Davies m.k.davies at reading.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 09:12:06 EDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I’m very pleased to announce the publication of the third staff-student book in the collaborative project I lead at the University of Reading: A Room of Our Own: The Virginia Woolf Learning Journals.

A Room of Our Own presents the work of over 20 final year students in the Department of English Literature who have crafted 500-word pieces of critical and creative writing responding to Woolf’s writing. Edited and designed by Literature and Typography students, the collection presents original, often witty and inventive, deeply felt reflections and responses to Woolf’s novels and essays. My introduction to the book explains the genesis of the project and its links to diversifying assessment practice, student engagement and graduate employability.

The project has won two University of Reading collaborative excellence awards, has been the basis of a Times Higher Education shortlisting (2019) for ‘Most Innovative Teaching’, and is the University’s nomination for this year’s HE Advanced CATE Award.

I’m extremely proud of all the students who have contributed to our book and who have dedicated so much time and care to producing a beautiful memento of their time studying with us.

A copy of A Room of One’s Own is available as an e-book and as a paperback. Please send me a message on if you would like a copy. Images attached.

Best wishes,

Madeleine.

Dr Madeleine Davies

Associate Professor of Women's Writing | SFHEA | Department of English Literature | The University of Reading | Whiteknights | PO Box 218 | Reading | RG6 6AA | m.k.davies at reading.ac.uk | tel:+441183787001

[cid:e03f1317-247c-4bca-a921-68871b8595ca]