[Vwoolf] Keynes Letter to Vanessa Bell

Alice Keane akeanefh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:25:23 EST 2020

Hi Kristin,

Keynes’s correspondence with his wife, Lydia Lopokova, was published in
1990 by Polly Hill, but I’m not aware of any similarly comprehensive
published volumes of Keynes's letters. I don’t currently have access to the
index (Vol. XXX) of Keynes’s *Collected Writings* -- which are really
fairly “selected writings" -- but it might be worth a quick search in that
index for Vanessa Bell’s name. The cite is: *The Collected Writings of John
Maynard Keynes: XXX (Bibliography and Index)*. Edited by Donald Moggridge.
Basingstoke: Macmillan, 1989.

Keynes tended to keep copies of his own drafted letters, so if the letter
hasn’t been published in *Collected Writings*, there might be a copy in the
King’s College Archives (https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb272-jmk.
Cambridge’s Janus finding aid indicates that letters from 1937 are filed
under “Reference JMK/L/37” (only 29 items, containing correspondence for
January-July and September-December, so this may be a long shot).

Hope this helps, but I am guessing someone who knows how to locate things
in Vanessa’s archives may be more useful...

All best,

Alice