[Vwoolf] The Blitz Spirit (7)

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 25 02:58:22 EST 2020

 This was on British TV on 23rd and 24th, available on catchup in the UK.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.channel5.com/show/a-wartime-christmas/__;!!KGKeukY!i5r5wLAUlHn-zf7P1oM1xz8I6wIrrHjtVRwn-_8L5mpnCH5gaypfZohC9LOBrilQLAA$

    On Thursday, 24 December 2020, 22:04:34 GMT, Diane Reynolds via Vwoolf <vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

 These are fascinating stories. My aunt, born in 1943, lived in Czechoslovakia and tells a similar story of what an exotic treat a banana was at Christmas. I think of the bombings and the food rationing in Europe often these days as I complain to myself about the pandemic.
I’m so glad some agreement seems underway on Brexit. I remember all the endless strikes in England in 1978-79, when you never knew what was going to be on the grocery shelves or not and all the trash was piled up in the London  squares. What would Virginia Woolf have thought? Being American, I was very impressed at how orderly everyone was in England, when this country would have been in chaos.
Happy holidays!