[Vwoolf] A Hard Question

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 21 04:28:10 EDT 2020

What does the second sentence mean?

“I left Louis; I feared embraces. With fleeces, with vestments, I have tried to cover the blue-black blade.” (Rhoda in “The Waves”)

To be honest, I just don’t know.  I can only guess at: “With classical culture (the Golden Fleece?) and religion (vestments) I have tried to protect myself from the cruelty of the world.”

But someone else is completely confident about the meaning . . .

(Scroll down)

Lenore C. Terr, “Who’s Afraid in Virginia Woolf: Clues to Early Sexual Abuse in Literature”, Psychoanalytic_Study_of_the_Child, XLV:533-46, 1990.

Stuart (Day 157)