[Vwoolf] Muffins

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Sun Sep 22 14:16:34 EDT 2019

My sister reminds me that our family had two toasting forks: one the
posh telescopic one, and one that was part of a set of "fire irons":
poker, scissor-like pincer implement to grab lumps of coal, shovel to
deal with ashes, and a toasting fork. There was a fear that if you used
to toasting fork in front of an electric fire then you might electrocute
yourself. At any rate ours disappeared when my parents moved into a
house without an open fire. The pincer implement could also be used for
roasting chestnuts.

My reading of the "Peanuts" strip suggests that in the US marshmallows
are toasted using a simple stick. Correct?

Sorry about "heap": "neatly stacked pile" is what I meant to write.

Jeremy