[Vwoolf] SACKVILLE, Thomas

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 1 09:14:03 EDT 2019

My copy of this book has quite a lot of wriggly underlining of the Rev.'s
intros, etc., but very few comments.  One such, on p. i, after ". . . though
Nicolas Udall be considered as having done much for English comedy, his
style is coarse, and will not bear comparison with that of Lord Buckhurst.",
reads: "Hoity-toity."

I wondered if that might have been a word-play, as Udall's "most famous work
[was] the play 'Ralph Roister Doister'"!

From: Stuart

SACKVILLE, Thomas (ed. by the Hon. & Rev. Reginald W. [Windsor]
Sackville-West, M.A.*)
    "The Works of Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, Afterwards Lord
Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth and Earl of Dorset"
    London: John Russell Smith (Library of Old Authors), 1859

NOTES: LE3, no. 1837: 'Would you bring Gorboduc' [a.k.a. "The Tragidie of
Ferrex and Porrex"], a tragedy (1561) by Thomas Norton and Thomas Sackville.
"The Works" also includes "The Induction" and "The Complaint of Henry Duke
of Buckingham".

*Rector of Withyham 1841-65, later 7th Earl De La Warr (1817-96).