[Vwoolf] Woolf Sighting

Ellen Lee angelicabeads at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 22:00:04 EDT 2018

Hello, Woolfians,

I’m reading Shaking a Leg: Collected Writings, by Angela Carter, and in her article Elizabeth David: English Bread and Cookery, a review of said book, I found:

“ ... she quotes a description of Virginia Woolf kneading away like nobody’s business.

“Virginia Woolf? Yes. Although otherwise an indifferent cook, Virginia could certainly knock you up a lovely cottage loaf. You bet. This strikes me as just the sort of pretentiously frivolous and dilettantish thing a Bloomsbury would be good at — knowing how to do one, just one, fatuously complicated kitchen thing and doing that one thing well enough to put the cook’s nose out of joint. ‘I will come into the kitchen, Louie’, she said to this young employee of hers, ‘and show you how to do it.’”

I thought you’d be amused by this quotation. On a more serious note, I am reading a book from the library: “Bloomsbury Aesthetics and the Novels of Forster and Woolf”’ by David Dowling, 1985. Very interesting comparisons of Clive Bell’s and Roger Fry’s opinions on the subject. I’m still attempting to educate myself, even at the advanced age of 68!

Thanks,
Ellen C. Lee, reader-at-large