[Vwoolf] Bell's painting

PALACIOS GONZALEZ MANUELA manuela.palacios at usc.es
Fri Oct 19 07:21:05 EDT 2018

Hello again,

I would like to suggest that those fingers do not need to be touching the shoulder, as we see a small dark shade on the green dress under them that could indicate they are separate. I interpret that lifted hand as V.Bell's representation of a conversational gesture (it is also interesting to look at the lifted hand of the lady in a light blue dress in the background (on  the left).

As for the central figure's décolleté, I see it as a focus of luminosity that contrasts with the dark suit of of the gentleman behind her (with his back to the spectator). This contrast of light and darkness and the multiple characters' positions (which so deftly express the sundry groups in social gatherings) draw our attention to the formal characteristics of the painting: volumes, colours, rhythm of lines, light and shade, etc. In sum, a good example of post-impressionist painting.

Thank you for sharing this painting with the list.

manuela

Manuela Palacios

Facultade de Filoloxía / Avda. Castelao s.n / 15782 Santiago de Compostela / Spain / Phone: 696257799 / E-mail: manuela.palacios at usc.es / web: http://irgal.es/