[Vwoolf] Bell's painting

Angela Runciman angela.runciman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:29:14 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Fascinating painting and discussion—I agree with Manuela, that the fingers
appear to be the young woman’s on her own shoulder.  As I looked at them,
however (and given Jane’s speculation about commentary on sexuality), I
also began to wonder if she has her arm linked with that of the woman in
black . . . but resting her fingers on her shoulder in that manner may
simply be a conversational gesture.

I am teaching Woolf and *Mrs. Dalloway* in my lit class now, and will show
this to my students, too.

Best,
Angela

--