[Vwoolf] Better late than never (continued)

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sat May 26 08:57:21 EDT 2018

Unidentified quotes in “The Essays”:

(1) E1, p.355, n3: “An interesting letter to Mr Clodd was printed the other day ...”

Some years ago I wrote to Pierre Coustillas (see p.361, n3) and he, like me, had been unable to track down where it had been published.  It appeared in the UK “Nation”, Vol. IX, 13 May 1911, p. 255, and is a letter to the ed. from Clodd, which opens: “’A propos’ of your note on a forthcoming cheap uniform edition of George Gissing’s novels, here is an extract from a letter which he wrote to me on November 7th, 1889 ..."  VW correctly quotes it (cf. p.361, n3), except that there should be an ellipsis after “If the”.

(2) E3, p.218, fn 2: quotes in Miss Hill’s book, quoted in VW’s “The Wrong Way of Reading”, on Mary Russell Mitford.  These 2 quotes come from ADAMS, W. H. Davenport, "Child-life and Girlhood of Remarkable Women: A Series of Chapters from Female Biography" (London: W. Swan Sonnenschein & Co., 2nd edn, 1885), p.108 fn:

A “reason for the popularity of Miss Mitford’s tales and sketches is, I am sure, their strong rural flavour.  They breathe the air of the hayfields and the scent of hawthorn boughs.  There is nothing artificial about them, nothing of the conventional pastoral; they are native, and to the manner born, and every page is fresh with the sweet breezes which blow over ripened cornfields or daisied meadows.”