[Vwoolf] Pangrams in Woolf

Sally Greene sally at ibiblio.org
Mon Mar 5 12:23:05 EST 2018

I fed into the program the text of from Project Gutenberg Australia. My
vague recollection is that folks in Australia grabbed a bunch of texts that
went out of copyright briefly in the UK (but subsequently came back in . .
. in the UK anyway).

--Sally

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Jeremy Hawthorn via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Just to be a killjoy . . .  I thought it unexpected that Woolf would write
> "demoralizing" rather than "demoralising." I don't have a full scholarly
> edition of *Three Guineas* at hand, but my old Penguin edition has
> "demoralising." The 1992 World's Classics edition of *Three Guineas* and *A
> Room of One's Own* edited by Morag Schiach has "demoralizing", but a note
> at the front of the book states that "ise" endings have been changed to
> "ize" in order "to follow current standard usage."
>
> So it appears to be a pangram in US editions (Google Books confirms) but
> not in UK editions. Now who has the first edition?
>
> Jeremy H
>
> On 05.03.2018 17.56, Sally Greene via Vwoolf wrote:
>
> Today's A.Word.A.Day introduces the concept of the pangram, or a sentence
> that includes all 26 letters of the alphabet. We all know "The quick brown
> of jumps over the lazy dog," but surely there are others? They've created a
> software program that lets you thrown in whole texts of books in order to
> find such sentences.
>
> https://wordsmith.org/words/expergefaction.html
>
> Here's what I found in Three Guineas:
>
> In the 'seventies of last century, Miss Jex-Blake and her associates were
> vigorously fighting the battle for admission of women to the medical
> profession, and the doctors were still more vigorously resisting their
> entry, alleging that it must be improper and demoralizing for a woman to
> have to study and deal with delicate and intimate medical questions.
>
> Enjoy,
> Sally
>
> --
> Sally Greene