[Vwoolf] Pangrams in Woolf

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Mar 5 12:18:49 EST 2018

Just to be a killjoy . . .  I thought it unexpected that Woolf would
write "demoralizing" rather than "demoralising." I don't have a full
scholarly edition of /Three Guineas/ at hand, but my old Penguin edition
has "demoralising." The 1992 World's Classics edition of /Three Guineas/
and /A Room of One's Own/ edited by Morag Schiach has "demoralizing",
but a note at the front of the book states that "ise" endings have been
changed to "ize" in order "to follow current standard usage."

So it appears to be a pangram in US editions (Google Books confirms) but
not in UK editions. Now who has the first edition?

Jeremy H