[Vwoolf] Dallowday

Anne Fernald fernald at fordham.edu
Wed Jan 31 08:42:45 EST 2018

As I have said here before, I’m of two minds about this:

1. I strongly disagree with those who confidently set the novel on one
date: David Bradshaw’s work, the work of others, and my own research show
pretty clearly that there was no Wed. that included the Royal Family being
on residence, the flower show, a heat wave, and hose cricket matches.

2. I love parties, celebrations, and celebrating Woolf and, if the Day were
asterisked as above and celebrated as say, the second or third Wed in June
annually, that would be really fun.

I can’t imagine anything other than Dallowday for the name.

Best,

Anne

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 11:11 AM Sarah M. Hall <smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Having talked to a few people, it seems that there is interest in creating
> a Dallowday to be celebrated each year as people see fit on a particular
> day in June. I think there was a consensus last year that the day on which
> Mrs D is set was Wed 20 June 1923. So am I right in assuming that most of
> us would consider the date more important than the day of the week? This
> year, of course, they are one and the same, which won't happen again until
> 2029.
>
> Another question I've been asked is whether it should be Dallowday or
> Dalloway Day, so may I also throw that out for discussion? It seems to me
> that the former is neater and less cumbersome.
>
> Sarah

Sent from Gmail Mobile