[Vwoolf] Three Guineas

Ellen Moody ellen.moody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:00:40 EST 2018

I guess I'm slightly mad for attempting not only Orlando but Three Guineas
for this coming term. I've gotten to near the end of a great edition by
Harcourt: with Jane Marcus's introduction, and two sets of extraordinary
notes (especially Woolf's).

I can foresee I'll have trouble with this one too. Now I'm thinking myself
it's one of the great works of the 20th century and vitally relevant to
what is happening in the world today.  Perhaps along with Primo Levi's If
this be man and The Truce, it ought to be one of the sina qua non reads for
anyone reading the books of the 20th century (like say Voltaire's Candide
for the 18th, Diderot's The Nun &c).

But I know there will be people in this American class of both genders who
won't see it in this light.

So again, can anyone recommend a good essay or book in the vein Approaches
to teaching Woolf's Three Guineas.

Ellen Moody