[Vwoolf] Excessive bounce notices

Elisa Sparks sparks at clemson.edu
Wed Feb 7 15:19:40 EST 2018

Dear all--

Since the end of January I have been inundated with excessive or fatal bounce notifications for the email list from OSU.  I've received over 200 so far.  I have finally managed to make contact with someone who actually seems to know what is going on, and we are investigating.  These bounce notifications have a kind of countdown, which means people usually are not taken off the list immediately, so many of you may be getting and sending to the list wiout even knowing the sword of doom is hanging over your heads.

If you have received an email from OSU saying that yr subscription has been/ or will be disabled due to excessive bounces I would like you to do two thing:

1) click on the link in the email.  It should restore your membership.  It is not a virus or a phishing expedition.

2) please send of copy of the e-mail to me.  I am collecting a sample of these for OSU IT guys to look at.

-------

Don't panic.  There is a workaround for all this from inside the administrative data base, so as soon as they have confirmed the problem, I can go in and restore everyone pretty easily. (There is a big snowstorm in Ohio today and so it may take a day or two)

However, since I find getting 50 emails in two minutes every couple of days a bit of a burden, we would like to see if there is anything else we can do that will fix it permanently as opposed to constantly having to correct each individual subscription.

 The problem appears to be something having to do with security demarcations; a number of services, including yahoo and aol have changed these in ways that are triggering the OSU servers.

If you are blocked and have something that HAS to go out (conference notifications, miscellany, IWVS announcements) please feel free to send to me privately and I will send to the list.  But FIRST-- make sure it is not going through.  And also remember that there are 753 of you on the list and please do not contact me unnecessarily.

Wishing you all the best--

Your harried web-mistress,

Elisa

PS-- Of course I realize the logical conundrum of this not reaching people whose subscriptions have been suspended.  Rest assured, I can find out everyone affected.  Meanwhile, if you are reading this, clearly you are on the list and okay. So do NOT email me to ask me if you are on the list.