[Vwoolf] 100 years of women's vote in Britain and Ireland

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 05:27:12 EST 2018

Would it be any use if I spent an afternoon or two weekly in addressing envelopes for the Adult Suffragists?
I dont know anything about the question. Perhaps you could send me a pamphlet, or give me the address of the office. I could neither do sums or argue, or speak, but I could do the humbler work if that is any good. You impressed me so much the other night with the wrongness of the present state of affairs that I feel that action is necessary. Your position seemed to me intolerable. The only way to better it is to do some thing I suppose. How melancholy it is that conversation isn’t enough!
Virginia Woolf to Janet Case, 1 January 1910

(100 years ago today the Representation of the People Act 1918 received Royal Assent, meaning that women in Britain and Ireland were entitled to vote in elections. But only if they were over 30 and had property rights, which narrowed it down to 40%.)

I know VW had ambivalent views about women's suffrage ('Of the two – the vote and the money – the money, I own, seemed infinitely the more important'), but it seemed we should acknowledge her association with the centenary and the suffragists.
Sarah
<!--#yiv6367137923 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}-->